For the chocolate cupcakes:
- 115 g Fairtrade white caster sugar by Sainsbury’s
- 115 g butterlicious by Sainsbury’s
- 2 medium free-range eggs by Sainsbury’s
- 115 g self-raising flour by Sainsbury’s
- 1 tbsp cocoa by Sainsbury’s
- 1 tbsp semi-skimmed milk by Sainsbury’s
For the vanilla buttercream:
- 175 g unsalted English butter by Sainsbury’s, at room temperature
- 250 g British icing sugar by Sainsbury’s
- 0.5 tsp Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Madagascan vanilla extract
- 125 g mini white marshmallows by Sainsbury’s
- 180 g black ready to roll icing by Sainsbury’s
- 25 g white ready to roll icing by Sainsbury’s
You will also need:
- 12 cupcake cases
- a 12-hole muffin tray
- a cocktail stick
To make the cakes:
Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan 180°C / gas 6. Line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases. Place the sugar and butterlicious in a large bowl and beat with a handheld electric beater until pale and fluffy. Add one egg to the mix at a time beating after each addition.
Sieve the self-raising flour and cocoa powder into the mix and stir until combined. Add a tbsp of milk to loosen the mix a little and stir again. Spoon into the prepared cake cups and bake for 12-15 minutes until firm and a skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To make the buttercream and decorate the cakes:
In a large mixing bowl, use an electric hand whisk on a medium setting to beat the butter for 2-3 minutes, until pale and soft.
Add just half of the icing sugar to the mixing bowl so it doesn’t all puff up in a cloud when you start to mix. Beat on a medium setting at first, then on a higher setting until smooth, then repeat with the other half of the icing sugar. Continue to beat for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is fluffy and pale, then add the vanilla extract and beat again.
When the cupcakes are completely cool, spread the buttercream over the tops to make smooth domes. Arrange about 25-30 mini marshmallows on each cake, leaving enough space for an icing head.
Take a 10g piece of black icing and use your hands to roll and form it into the shape of a sheep's head. Use more black icing to make ears by rolling small sausages and pinching one end. Press into place, using a drop of water to stick them on if necessary.
Make the eyes by forming little balls of white icing, finishing with little balls of black icing for the pupils. Press onto the head, using a dot of water to help them stick if needed. Make two holes for the nostrils with the end of a cocktail stick and pop on top of the cake.