- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 142g tomato purée
- 2 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 1 tbsp French Dijon mustard
- 820g cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes until softened.
Stir in the tomato purée, sugar, treacle and Dijon mustard. Add the cannellini beans and 350ml water, then cover. Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Serve on toasted bread with a sprinkling of fresh chopped parsley.