Seen the logo? Wondered why it's on your fish packet? Here are the facts behind Sainsbury's and the sustainable fish we sell
It's about sourcing fish from fisheries which are managed to make sure fish populations remain healthy and where fishing methods minimise environmental impact. This means we can all enjoy great-quality fish now, and be confident of healthy fish stocks in the years to come.
Here's where we're at
- Fourth consecutive year as largest retailer of Marine Stewardship Council seafood, with sales of £149 million in 2013/14.
- First major UK retailer to launch Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) certified River Cobbler.
- Joint first in Marine Conservation Society (MCS) Supermarket Seafood Survey for our long-term commitment to seafood sustainability.
- First major UK retailer to launch RSPCA Freedom Food approved loch trout.
- Gave away seven tonnes of lesser known seafood through our Switch the Fish campaign, encouraging our customers to expand their seafood repertoire.
- Seafood Retailer of the Year at the 2014 Retail Industry Awards.
- Top spot in Greenpeace’s tuna league table 2014.
- Supporting Project Inshore to help British inshore fisheries develop sustainability plans to secure their future.
80% of the UK's favourite fish is made up of the BIG 5: Tuna, salmon, cod, haddock and prawns.
Why not switch one of these for a tasty alternative. Trout, lemon sole, coley, sardines and mussels are all easy to prepare and we have heaps of recipes for you to try, such as this risotto recipe.
Easy to make and delicious this is a recipe that would impress the fussiest of fish eaters.
What fish are sustainable?
Sustainable fisheries can be certified to the MSC standard. You can find the following sustainable fish instore:
- Cod and haddock.
- Wild Pacific salmon.
- Skipjack and albacore tuna.
- Cold water prawns.
- Breaded plaice.
All our farmed salmon and warm water prawns are responsibly sourced from independently certified farms.
Work incredibly hard at sea catching the fish we sell instore. As they work to the highest standards, we make sure that they are paid a fair price for their catch, keeping an eye on the cost to you as you do your shop.
Hook line and Sinker
All our canned tuna, including the tuna in our sarnies, sushi and ready to go meals, is caught using pole and line.