Craving that sweet autumnal caffeine hit? Here's how to do it at home
Hello, October. This month is all about crisp and cold sunny days, golden leaves, shiny conkers, and the steady move into comfort food's warm embrace.
It's also when the beloved Starbuck's pumpkin spice latte wriggles its way back on the menu, making us feel all toasty and warm and ready to hibernate.
But what about the days when a quick trip to the coffee shop isn't too feasible? When you want to spend a whole 24 hours, pyjama-clad? For those occasions, you need to learn how to make the treat yourself.
Here's how it's done.
Makes 1 coffee
You will need:
- A shot of espresso (from a Nespresso, an Aeropress, or two tablespoons of instant just covered with hot water)
- Half a mug of milk
- 15 ml pumpkin spice syrup (we used Monins)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate flake (optional, but oh-so-good)
1. Make your shot of espresso with your preferred home coffee method. (Or dissolve two tablespoons of instant coffee in a little hot water. We won't tell if you don't.)
2. Heat half a mug of milk in the microwave for two minutes.
3. Add the pumpkin spice syrup to your espresso. Stir. Follow with the vanilla extract.
4. Top with the hot milk and stir with two cinnamon sticks. Leave these in for that lovely sweet spice flavour to meld with everything else.
5. The fun part: crown with heaps of whipped cream and crushed up flake. Bliss.
Like this? Then try these:
- Foodie reasons we're glad Autumn is coming
- Autumn food festivals it's worth getting chilly for
- Curried pumpkin soup recipe
And for more fun foodie stuff direct to your inbox sign up to our weekly newsletter