As the kids go back to school, we take a look at the things we remember most about school dinners in the 1980s
1. Custard with a thick skin
Sometimes it was so thick you could cut it with a knife.
2. The plastic dinner tray
Who needs a plate when you have one giant plastic tray that separates your food for you?
3. Keeping your pennies in this purse
Saving up to buy cola bottles at the local shop was a ritual when we were kids.
4. Sometimes taking sandwiches in a cartoon lunchbox
Our packed lunch never looked as good as our friends' packed lunches.
5. Mashed potato being served in a perfectly round ball
It looked like ice cream. Lumpy, tasteless ice cream. And it was always perfectly spherical.
6. Burgers that had never seen a grill
How did they make burgers so badly? Were they steamed?
7. Baked beans with everything
Schools in the 1980s thought baked beans were a food group in their own right.
8. Fruit was the enemy
Why have a piece of fruit when you could gorge yourself on lumpy custard and jam roly poly?