It's no way as hard as you think and it's some beautiful food chemistry in action
You might never have made your own mayonnaise at home because it looks like it's probably quite a complicated thing. But here are the headlines: it isn't even cooking at all. Plus the homemade stuff is so beautifully yellow and as for the taste – it's amazing.
We decided to give proceedings an extra kick by adding some chipotle sauce to the mix because nothing goes better with chicken or chips.
You will need
- 2 small egg yolks
- juice of half a medium lemon (approx 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- 250ml olive or any light nut oil (defo not extra virgin)
- 1 heaped teaspoon chipotle chilli paste, or if you don't fancy chilli 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 hand blender
- 1 flask or tall, thin blending jug
Crack your egg yolks into the flask and add the white wine vinegar and lemon juice, then finally the oil (yes it looks like a lot of oil –don't be alarmed.)
Place your hand blender at the base of the flask and switch it on. Magic will happen before your eyes as the oil transforms into a beautiful yellow emulsion.
Last of all, stir in your chipotle paste (or mustard) thoroughly and get dipping! That. Is. It. See, said it was easy.