You’ll be ditching your burger for a barbecue pizza this summer
It turns out you can cook pizza on the barbecue. Who knew?
Forget everything you know about barbecue food, because it’s time to dip your toe into the wonderful world of barbie pizzas.
"But why would you do this to an already pretty fine pizza?" we hear you cry. Well, putting it over hot coals gives it a pretty gorgeous crust similar to how the professionals do it in a wood-burning oven.
The catch? You really need a barbecue designed for ‘lid-down’ cooking, or invest in a pizza stone.
Makes 1 pizza
You will need:
- Olive oil
- Pizza dough or base
- Desired toppings
- First, you need to be prepared. We’re talking all of your toppings sliced and diced, the dough prepared and the sauce and cheese ready to go in one neat pizza station.
- Secondly, you need your barbecue to be hot.
- To be a successful pizza-griller, you need to cook your base on the barbecue before topping it, so brush the dough with olive oil and grill it for a couple of minutes (you’re looking for grill marks here, so tongs will be your friend).
- Flip it and then top with passata, cheese and your chosen ingredients.
- Cook until the crust is golden and the toppings are cooked.
Some combinations shouldn’t be messed with – and a mozzarella and tomato pizza is one of them. Go classic and remember to use various colours of tomatoes because, well, what could be more summery than eating the colours of the rainbow?
Tempted? Try these flavours …
Just add: asparagus, goat’s cheese and pistachio
When those mighty green spears are in season, you have to make the most of them and show them off in all their glory. After all, we have waited very patiently for them to arrive …
Just add: garlic bread, parma ham and mushrooms
Yes, you can use garlic pizza bread as your pizza base. Genius.
Just add: spinach, egg and red pepper
Spinach and egg are a classic combination but adding red peppers into the mix makes everything taste just that little bit sweeter.
Just add: figs, walnut and chocolate
It would be criminal not to pop some chocolate frangipane, creamy mascarpone cheese, ripe figs, crunchy walnuts and honey onto a pizza and light it up on the barbie.